This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Review Thursday: The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis


The Chronicles of Narnia Chronological Order #6

Goodreads Blurb:
"Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved."




Review:
This is another lovely book by C.S. Lewis.  It's beautiful, fanciful writing that read very much like a storybook fairytale.

I was slightly exasperated with Jill and Eustace and their decisions.  Some of them I just couldn't believe that they would make.  For example, they actually listen to a weird lady on the side of the road to tells them to go to a giant's fortress and tell them that she sent children 'for' their festival.  Tell me that doesn't scream suspicious!

However, I really loved seeing Eustace go back to Narnia and seeing how he's changed since The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  We also see Caspian again in this book although in a much more limited role.  I did like seeing what his life was like after Voyage of the Dawn Treader but it was really sad seeing him so old (and what happens at the end... :( ).

I really liked the supporting characters in this book: especially the owls and Puddleglum who was so depressed and pessimistic.  In a hilarious way!  It was so funny to see the contrast of the optimism of the children alongside his pessimism.

As for the ending, I thought it ended rather abruptly.  They went through, Caspian helped, the end.  It was fine, just left me kind of annoyed.

The Final Verdict:
A lovely storybook like tale that follows Eustace and Jill on their quest to save the prince.  I loved seeing Eustace and Caspian in Narnia and the supporting characters were great.  However, the ending was really abrupt and the way Jill and Eustace acted had me rolling my eyes.
3.5 stars


Quotes:
“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.”


“Though under earth, and throneless now I be
Yet while I lived all earth was under me.”



“Aslan's instructions always work; there are no exceptions.” 


“You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you," said the Lion.” 


“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.” 


“Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.” 

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read this one, but it was one of the ones I liked. I liked Eustace more in this one than I did in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...