This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Thursday, September 8, 2016

30 Days of Books: Day 19 - Favorite Book Turned Into A Movie

I'm starting to do this again after a little hiatus called vacation.  I originally saw this on Jenni's blog (see her post HERE) and although I don't think the linky is still active, if you'd like, you can still make a post!  Just be sure to link back to Jenni!

Today's topic is: favorite book turned into a movie



Goodreads Blurb:
"A mission to Mars.
A freak accident.
One man's struggle to survive.

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars' surface, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive.  And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death.  The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit.  Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills -- and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength -- he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet."


In 2015, a movie adaptation was released!

The Martian
PG-13

IMDB Blurb:
"An astronaut becomes stranded on Mars after his team assume him dead, and must rely on his ingenuity to find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive."


Why I love it:
So I actually watched the movie first (I know, terrible) and I really loved it.  Matt Damon does a stellar job as Mark Watney and his humor is hilarious.  I read the book, expecting it to be just as good and it was!  I'm actually glad I watched the movie before because it was so much easier to visualize all of the things Mark was building to escape Mars.  The humor is just as potent in the book and all of the events and nuances are present in the movie adaptation.  If you haven't read the book or watched the movie, I highly recommend it!


What is your favorite book to movie adaptation?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I might just have to read the book after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book first and loved it, I wasn't immediately sold by the casting of Matt Damon though. Then, I saw the movie and was very pleased with how great it all turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also slightly skeptical of the movie just because the trailers I saw had pretty much just him acting so I was a little leery of whether or not he would be able to carry the screen on his own but he didn't have any problem!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the movie. Like I said yesterday, I'm worried about all the scientific jargon, but I think I'd like it. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will! Or at the very least, you'll get through it and the funny parts will save the book :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...