This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

January Wrap-Up


It's the end of January already!  Can you believe it??  While I was pretty productive this month in some areas, I wasn't so much in other areas.  Let's explore what happened this month, shall we?


Statistics:

Number of Pages Read: 5,064
Total Books Read: 14
Rereads: 6
Reviews Posted: 7

Distribution of Ratings:
5 star: 4
4-4.5 star: 8
3-3.5 star: 2
2-2.5 star: 0
1-1.5 star: 0

Number of Authors Read: 9
Number of Series Books Read: 10
Number of Stand-alones: 4

The Books:
Reads:
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (Review to come) Preliminary rating: 4 stars)


Q by Luther Blissett (Review to come) (Preliminary rating: 4 stars)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Review to come) (Preliminary rating: 4 stars)




This month I was on quite the Agatha Christie run and I read 6 books of hers (the six paperbacks that I owned but hadn't read).  I'm hoping to read all of her books this year (and probably continuing into next)!  I enjoyed all the ones that I've read so far but I especially liked those that are a part of the Hercule Poirot series.  I also read some library books when I went home from break (Q, The Replacement, and A Thousand Pieces of You) which I enjoyed.  Q was the longest book I read this month, coming in at 768 pages.  Finally, I read Frankenstein (for a class) finally.  I have to say, I like how Mary Shelley demonstrated how stupid and thoughtless and arrogant humans can be.



Rereads:


















This was also quite the reread month and I picked up some of my old favorites (hello His Fair Assassin series!).  I think it really helped me to get out of my 'new book' reading slump.  I alternated reading new books and rereading old favorites.


Life Update:
I'm back at school but my schedule this semester is much more forgiving for the bookworm diet.  I have a lot more continuous time to read which is great.  I'm keeping up on my Goodreads challenge (which I set to 100 again this year).  Granted, we're only a month in, but still!

I've decided to read much more Agatha Christie books this year and I'm hoping to be more organized in my efforts to diminish my TBR.  I'm going to do a series of A to Z challenges throughout the year (yes, more than one, although I don't know how many exactly) to help with that.

My holidays were wonderful and I got to see my family and my cats which was wonderful.  I also received several hardcover copies of some of my favorite books for a permanent place on my shelves which I'm always grateful for.

Over break I also got to see some movies that I've been wanting to see!  I saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children which I thought was pretty great (while it definitely departed a bit from the book, I found I didn't mind too much).  I also saw Deepwater Horizon, Snowden, The Accountant, The Magnificent Seven, and Hidden Figures.  I liked all of them although my favorites were definitely Hidden Figures and Deepwater Horizon (I'm a huge fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's (he was in Inception) acting, though, in Snowden!).  Hidden Figures is about the African American 'computers' (what they called people who did computations before the age of the computer) and their pivotal role in getting United States astronauts into space.  Deepwater Horizon is about the BP oil spill and the events leading up to it.  I'll also be seeing Sully and Maximum Ride soon!

Otherwise, my life has been pretty quiet (which is a good thing for now!)!  I've been getting back into Pretty Little Liars in preparation for the last season which will air in April!  I'm also watching the second season of Shadowhunters (although I'm tracking a couple episodes behind) and I'll be starting to watch the new episodes of The 100 (I wasn't able to catch the season premiere but I'm hoping to get back on track).


How was your January?  Have you seen Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Deepwater Horizon, Snowden, The Accountant, The Magnificent Seven, or Hidden Figures?  Have you read any of the books I read in January?  What did you think?

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to your thoughts on The Replacement and Frankenstein. Frankenstein is my favorite book of all time. I wish I did more rereads. I want to watch more shows but find I don't have much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can see why you like it: it's definitely interesting and has a lot of unique assertions! I was just in a rereading mood, trying to get over my reading slump so I read a lot more than usual.

      Delete
  2. I will need to read Grave Mercy one of these days - I've heard such great things about it! I really want to see Hidden Figures and Deepwater Horizon - they look like they'll be excellent. I'm on hold at the library for the Maximum Ride movie... I have a feeling I'll be kind of irritated about it though. We'll see - hopefully, we'll end up liking though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great series! I hope you get to it sometime! They are quite excellent :) I really hope you love them as much as I did! I've had that feeling as well but I want to watch it just to know for sure. Haha yes that would be ideal!

      Delete
  3. I loved reading the entire His Fair Assassin trilogy. I wouldn't mind rereading all of the novels in the trilogy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great series! I may be rereading them again this month or in March!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...