This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Thursday, June 7, 2018

I Heart Characters (1): Wicked Witch


I Heart Characters is a weekly (topics posted on Thursday's but feel free to post on any day of the week) meme hosted by Dani @Perspective of a Writer!  Every week is a different topic designed to showcase our love of characters!

This Week: Wicked Witch
(Literally a witch, or one who simply acts like one… a fantasy villain or a contemporary bully… if she’s b*tchy then she’s part of the group!)




There are several witches (both in attitude and physiology) that come to mind immediately (Dolores Umbridge, anyone???) but I'm going to go for a character that's a little less obvious :)

Maeve from Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Released: 2014
Series: Throne of Glass #3
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads

Blurb: Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Times best-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.


Pinterest

Maeve is first introduced in Heir of Fire but we really start to see her awfulness in Empire of Storms (see my review here) and she is absolutely a witch (in the bitch sense).  She is the (basically) immortal ruler of one of the fae lands (allegedy one of the three fae sister-queens along with Mab and Mora) in this world and she hasn't used her long life span for good.  She essentially wants to use everything for her own gain and she has absolutely no concept of morality.  I don't want to say too much more because then we get into spoilery territory, but if you've read EoS, you know exactly what I'm talking about (that ending anyone????).  In any case, she's one of my favorite villains because she's just so awful and I want to strangle her at every turn.




Pinterest
Also side note, Manon Blackbeak is an actual witch and she is totally badass.  Another reason to read this series.  She absolutely SLAYS in Queen of Shadows and Empire of Storms (actually, in Heir of Fire too!) and she's even gloriously morally gray.  She has this great character arc and she learns so much in her journey alongside Aelin and it's absolutely magical.









So there you have it!  Two for one.

If you'd like to take part in this meme, just hop on over to Dani's blog and link up!

Next Week's Topic: A Character Who Flies

12 comments:

  1. What a fun idea for a post series!
    I'd say Amisa, the mother in Ponti by Sharlene Teo. She's an awful person, but it's poignant to find out why.
    http://litflits.blogspot.com/2018/05/ponti-by-sharlene-teo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! I'm definitely going to be participating on a semi-regular basis :) I love it when villains are multi-faceted. Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie!

      Delete
  2. I'm yet to read anything by SJM and it's highly unlikely I'd ever get around to her at this point *side eyes at tbr* but these character sure sound like super wicked witches, both in their own right! I'd have picked Levana from the Lunar Chronicles- she's a wicked witch if there ever was one (though not an actual one)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I'm that way about several series' on my TBR. There are just too many to get to! When I was writing this post a few weeks ago, I had just finished Empire of Storms so all I could think of was how awful Maeve was. That's why I kind of love 50/50 Friday because I'm forced to look through my archives and reminisce about all the books I've read. Oooo yes Levana is such a great pick for this too! Thanks for stopping by, Ruz!

      Delete
  3. This is making me feel bad for not keeping up with this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm only mentioning it so much recently because when I was writing all these posts a few weeks ago, I had just finished Empire of Storms and it basically took over my mind :) I'm kind of a crazy mood reader and I commit 100% to the books I've reading at that moment. So no need to feel bad at all! I have dozens of popular series' that I haven't started yet that everyone raves about all the time :)

      Delete
  4. WOW! Welcome to the meme Laura! I'm so excited to see this post <3 Last week someone featured a character from Throne of Glass and I'm pretty sure someone featured another character another week... so I've moved this series up my TBR list and Laura... you really have added the pressure!! I was pretty enthralled by the other two posts but here are two more characters that explain why the fandom is so huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your meme, Dani! I'm thinking of participating on a semi-regular basis :)

      Yes!! You must read it!! I'm really interested to hear your perspective on it; you always post such interesting and in-depth reviews that I love reading. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Both of these looks like great choices! This is such a fun meme...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series! And Maeve is an amazing villain. I'm equally excited and terrified for Kingdom of Ash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?????? She's so lovely because she's so awful. Ugh me too! It's the last one!!! Thanks for stopping by, Di!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...