This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, September 14, 2015

Twice the Fun Review Monday: The Princess Diaries #2 and #3 (Princess in the Spotlight and Princess In Love) by Meg Cabot


The Princess Diaries #2

Goodreads Blurb:
"No one ever said being a princess was easy.

Just when Mia thought she had the whole princess thing under control, things get out of hand, fast. First there's an unexpected announcement from her mother. Then Grandmère arranges a national primetime interview for the brand-new crown princess of Genovia. On top of that, intriguing, exasperating letters from a secret admirer begin to arrive.

Before she even has the chance to wonder who those letters are from, Mia is swept up in a whirlwind of royal intrigue the likes of which hasn't been seen since volume I of The Princess Diaries."

Review:
I just really enjoy these books in general.  They're really fun books when you're in a reading rut that go by quickly and make you laugh.  Quite honestly, this book took me an hour to read!  This wasn't my favorite book (I liked the first one better) but if I have to read it to reread the series, then I shall!

I really loved Mia's voice and how the author made her seem so real and alive.  Mia is just so dramatic and it's so humorous to read!  She's sort of letting the whole princess thing settle in while she adjusts but of course her life takes so many different turns.  She has to learn to cope with the press and how to rule a whole country while of course dealing with her family and friends who, at times, can be a little strange and slightly exasperating.

Speaking of Mia's friends, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Lilly being Mia's friend.  From my perspective, she seems like such a terrible friend and isn't understanding of Mia's situation at all.  She came across to me as very whiny and pushy.

As always, I do like the diary style of the book - it really fits Mia's voice and the tone of the whole book.

The Final Verdict:
Another great installment of The Princess Diaries although the first book is still my favorite.  Mia's voice is very well done and I loved watching her navigate through teenage life as well as finding out she's a princess and expected to rule a country in a few short months.  The only aspect I really disliked was seeing Lilly as Mia's friend.  She seemed so pushy and was not good friend material at all.
4 stars


Quotes:
“Lilly: Mia, when I recognize a human soul crying out for self-actualization, I am powerless to stop myself. I must do what I can to see that that person’s dream is realized.
[Gee, I haven’t noticed Lilly doing all that much to help me realize my dream of
French-kissing her brother. But on the other hand, I have not exactly made that dream known to her.]” 


“And you know what? Maybe Michael didn’t write those notes. And maybe he doesn’t
think I’m the Josiest girl in school.But he thought I looked nice in my pink dress. And that’s all that matters to me.” 




The Princess Diaries #3

Goodreads Blurb:
"Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo may seem the luckiest girl ever.She's a princess, for starters. She also lives in New York City. And while she's no supermodel, mirrors do not crack at her reflection. Best of all, she finally has a boyfriend.

The truth is, however, that Mia spends all her time doing one of three things: preparing for her nerve-racking entree into Genovian society under the slave-driving but elegant Grandmere, slogging through congestion unique to Manhattan in December, and avoiding further smooches from her hapless boyfriend, Kenny.

All she wants is a little peace and quiet...and a certain someone else to be her boyfriend. For Mia, being a princess in love is not the fairy tale it's supposed to be...or is it?"


Review:
I may end up repeating some things from my Princess In the Spotlight review but bear with me (or is it bare with me?  I never know...)!  So once again, Mia is narrating the story from her diary.  I really like this choice of format because it really does emphasize Mia's voice.

Once again, I'm not liking Lilly all that much even though she's slightly better in this book simply because Mia doesn't tell her as much so how would she know not to say certain things?  Still, she still seems really selfish and never really looks at Mia's problems in a deeper light,

 This book does end rather abruptly (after a certain event that we've all been hoping would happen!) although I can see the reasoning why.  It's the perfect pick-up point for the next book even if it does seem a bit out of place in this book.  And because the book is in diary format, we only get so much information as Mia can write down and if she's just had a totally life-changing event happen, well she isn't going to be writing much.

This time around, I actually found Grandmere a little funny.  We got to see more of her personality in this book as she was developed from a more flat secondary character to a more complex one.

The one complaint I have about this book is that some things just weren't elaborated on enough and I was really confused as to what exactly went down (for example Kenny's declaration in the hallway and Mia's press conference/interview about the dress spread).  It was just a little vague and Mia only suggested at things that happened rather than just reliving it play-by-play like she normally does.

The Final Verdict:
I came to love Mia even more in this installment and I'm so glad we finally get to know more about Grandmere.  Once again, I found issues with Lilly and some things just weren't elaborated on enough.  However, Mia's voice is as stunning as ever!
4 stars


Quotes:
“Grandmere says she can't get over the change in me. She says I seem taller. And you know maybe I am. She thinks it's because I'm wearing another one of Sebastiano's original creations, designed just for me,just like the dress that was supposed to make Michael see me as more than just his little sister's best friend . . . except that it turned out he already did. But I know that's not it. And it isn't love, either. Well, not entirely. I'll tell you what it is: self-actualization. That and the fact that it turns out I'm really a princess, after all. I must be, because guess what? I'm living happily ever after.” 


“The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if pretty soon I start wearing ripped-up fishnet stockings and dyeing my hair black. Maybe I'll even start smoking and get my ears double-pierced or something. And then they'll make a TV movie about me and call it Royal Scandal. It will show me going up to Prince William and saying,'Who's the most popular young royal now, huh, punk?' and then headbutting him or something.” 


“Saturday, December 12, 8 p.m., the Loft
I WILL PASS ALGEBRA THIS SEMESTER, and NOTHING IS GOING TO DISTRACT ME FROM STUDYING FOR THE FINAL!!!!!!!!!!! 
Saturday, December 12, 9 p.m., the Loft 
I just had to go out and see the part where Bruce Willis throws the explosives down the elevator shaft, but now I am back to work.”


“I usually know almost exactly how I feel. The problem is, I just can't tell anyone.” 


“Whatever. Boris, must you constantly breathe on me?” 


“If the guy likes/loves you, he won't care if you are a good kisser or not.
He should like you for what you are - not how you kiss.” 


“Roses are red, violets are blue. You may not know it, but someone loves you.” 

8 comments:

  1. I love a quirky, fun, funny read. I never even considered these but maybe I should. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like them! A lot of people I know read them when they were younger but I was never able to :( They're such great light and fun books!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I've never read The Princess Diaries...now I really want to after reading your reviews! Would you recommend? :) I love both of your reviews in one post!

    By the way, Cat and I have challenged you to do the Book Rainbow challenge! Here is the post if you're interested:
    http://booksoffascination.blogspot.com/2015/09/book-rainbow-tag.html

    -Megan, Books of Fascination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Go now and read! :D I'd definitely recommend these! Especially if you're not looking for anything heavy. Maybe something to get you out of a reading slump? :) Thanks! I figured since I had relatively the same comments on both that I'd just combine the posts! Thanks for the tag!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you're getting a chance to rearead these! How many of them have you read before? I did a binge reread of them in the spring and LOVED every minute of it, and it was the perfect refresher before Royal Wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually only read the first two before so now I"m finishing the rest of the series (and of course rereading the first two!). Haha that's actually the reason I'm finishing the series - The Royal Wedding looks so good!

      Delete
  4. I never got into the Princess Diaries books as a teen, although I was obsessed with the movies as a kid (I mean, what girl wouldn't be!). I guess after your reviews I might be on the lookout for them at the used books stores- I need more fun books in my life.
    Excellent reviews!
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah the movies are really good! I just started reading the 4th book and they actually mention the movies in the books! It's hilarious :D I hope you enjoy them the second time around. They give me exactly the break I need after reading books with some heavy material! Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...