This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, December 15, 2017

50/50 Friday (63): Favorite/Least Favorite Sidekick

50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @The Butterfly Reads and I and focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc).  Every week will have a new topic and several advance topics will be listed in the tab labeled 50/50 Friday!

Today's Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Sidekick


Favorite:


Trilogy

Blurb:
"Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.


Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior."


I love Kenji.  He basically serves as the comic relief in this series and I'm not mad at it.  His dialogue is such gold and he always stands by Juliette, even when Adam goes a little crazy.  While I have come across people who didn't like this series, I haven't yet spoken to someone who didn't like Kenji.


Least Favorite:

Trilogy

Blurb:
"Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?"


This was so hard for me.  Typically, even if I don't like the MC, I will like the sidekick (or supporting cast of characters).  I love the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series but I just couldn't get into Zuzana's chapters.  I found that I couldn't really connect with her character and she always felt a little off to me.  Her interactions with Karou are cute though :)


Who are your favorite/least favorite sidekicks?  Have you read any of these books?  What did you think of them?  Make a post and link up below!



Next Week's Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Christmas themed book (or book that takes place during Christmas (or other holiday))

8 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you again! Kenji was awesome. I loved him. Zuzana was fine but I couldn’t understand why the author was giving her so much page time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! His banter is exactly what the series needs.

      Yeah... I really wanted to like her because she always seemed so exotic which is a perfect match for Karou (and even their relationship was cute!) but she just continually irked me for some reason. Thanks for stopping by, Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I actually love both of these characters. I think they are both great lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I'm kind of in the minority when it comes to Zuzana. It's like meeting someone and knowing that they're a quality person but you'll never actually be friends :) Thanks for stopping by, Carrie!

      Delete
  3. This makes me feel like I need to pay more attention to sidekicks. I read the first books in both of these series, but don't remember enough to comment on either characters >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I have to scroll through my 'read' shelf on Goodreads to even remember half of the books I read and I have to think extensively about each book and who was even the MC! Sometimes, I'll forget I even read a book! Oh the life of a bookworm... #bookwormproblems Thanks for stopping by, Alicia!

      Delete
  4. Side characters that provide comic relief usually end up being my faves and Kenji sounds JUST like a character I'd fall in love with too! I really need to get started on this series soon UGHHHH -.- I'm yet to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone too, but yes- regarding liking the sidekicks usually even if the MCs don't work out for me. That happens quite too often for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so great! You MUST! From what I've read, people either love it or hate it so hopefully you'll be like me and love it :) Thanks for stopping by, Ruz!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...