This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, July 13, 2018

50/50 Friday (93): Favorite Book That's the Most/Least Quotable


50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @The Butterfly Reads and I and focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc).  Every week will have a new topic and several advance topics will be listed in the tab labeled 50/50 Friday!


Today's Topic: Favorite Book That's the Most/Least Quotable


Most:
There are so many!!!!!  I'm going to go with a book that I don't get to mention often enough but is one of my favorite books with some of my favorite quotes.


Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #2
Released: 2015
Rating: 4 stars (Review)

Blurb:
"This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.

Complete with dozens of newly discovered (and thoroughly mesmerising) vintage photographs, this new adventure will delight readers of all ages."


This book just has some amazing quotes!  I couldn't decide so I just listed most of my favorites below :)

Favorite Quotes:
“Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.”

“Laughing doesn’t make bad things worse any more than crying makes them better.”

“Just because they knew it was lost didn’t mean they knew how to let it go.”

“I liked this idea: that peculiarness wasn't a deficiency, but an abundance; that it wasn't we who lacked something normals had, but they who lacked peculiarness. That we were more, not less.” 

“Do you ever find yourself climbing into an open grave during a bombing raid..and wish you'd just stayed in bed?”

“The real purpose of money is to manipulate others and make them feel lesser than you.”

“Destiny is for people in books about magical swords.”

“We aren’t so different. Outcasts and wanderers all—souls clinging to the margins of the world.” 


Least:



Hercule Poirot #24
Released: 1941
Rating: 5 stars (Review)

Blurb:
"Set at the Jolly Roger, a posh vacation resort for the rich and famous on the southern coast of England, Evil Under the Sun is one of Agatha Christie’s most intriguing mysteries. When a gorgeous young bride is brutally strangled to death on the beach, only Hercule Poirot can sift through the secrets that shroud each of the guests and unravel the macabre mystery at this playground by the sea."


I love this book but there just aren't that many great compact quotes in it.  I feel like in general, Agatha Christie isn't a very quotable author.  Maybe that's something that the mystery genre in general doesn't really do but her books are much more focused on development of the mystery, than funny or profound one to two sentence quotes.

Favorite Quote:
“There is no such thing as a really calm sea. Always, always, there is motion.”


Have you read either of these?  What did you think of them?  What are your favorite most and least quotable books?  What do you think makes a book quotable?  Make a post and link up down below!


Next Week's Topic: Favorite/Least Favorite Red Cover Design

12 comments:

  1. I haven’t read either of these but judging from the quotes you shared I’d have to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's almost kind of frustrating when you love a book but there aren't any really good quotes in it! Thanks for stopping by, Jenny!

      Delete
  2. I love some of those Hollow City quotes! That book does look very quotable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! It's just such a gorgeous book. I could see putting some of them on my walls :) Thanks for stopping by, Greg!

      Delete
  3. Cool topic! I have only read the first book in the Ms. Peregrines series’s but it definitely was a very cool book and very well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! It is! They're just so unique and Riggs uses interesting words and sentence structures which makes for some lovely quotes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm sad to say I've not read any of these.... but I love the quotes from Ms Peregrines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so wonderful, aren't they? Thanks for stopping by, Carrie :)

      Delete
  5. Quotes from a book and its relatable ness Is an intriguing way to review. ♥️ I’ve read both books. Miss Peregrine and her charges exploring the idea of unique gifts and the bending of time makes the books stand out. As for Christie, I always have to remind myself she writes her mysteries where it’s impossible for the reader to solve. So you just enjoy the mystery and the way the detective solves said mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I thought so too; it's such a unique premise! Yeah... my least favorite mysteries of hers are the ones where the reader doesn't have all the information to figure it out (one of the things I love about And Then There Were None is all the evidence is there, you just have to be clever enough to put together the pieces (I definitely wasn't the first time!). Thanks for stopping by, Dani!

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh, interesting topic! My favourite quotes I think come from ACOTAR series... There's so many amazing ones in there. But I'm trying to think which is one of my favourite books that isn't really quotable!!! And I've obviously forgotten every book I've ever read now... Ha ha. *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! Personally, I LOVE quotes and I really wanted to do a topic to feature some. Haha mine too! I thought I would take a break from all the SJM love and feature some different books with some other amazing quotes. Haha literally the struggle of bookworms everywhere :D Thanks for stopping by, Di!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...