This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Review Sunday: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
Goodreads Blurb:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.



Several of my friends recommended this series to me and after seeing the hype that was created by the upcoming City of Heavenly Fire release, I decided to give it a shot.  Can I just say how glad I am that I did?  When I add books to my TBR list, they can get in line behind 2000 other books.  This series, however, got special treatment because of the hype and was moved to the front of my list.  Now you're asking "Why Laura, how could you let yourself be manipulated into reading this book sooner than other books that were probably just as good?"  Weeeeell... I don't think I can answer that actually.  So let's just get down to the review.

All of you TMI fans out there are looking at my 4.5 star review and going "WHAT?!?!  That's so close to 5 stars and you just... just... NO!"  Well let me explain myself.

I can see where all the hype is coming from.  This book caught my attention right away what with the 'invisible people' and all.  And JACE!  Oh Jace, you may just be the love of my life and I've only known you for however long it took me to read this book... 3 hours?  *sighs*  And Clary.  I can't tell you how much I love her.  She just so... realistic.  And totally clueless which was adorable :D

Annnyyyyway back to the point.  I docked half a star because I felt like there wasn't enough explaination when it came to the Shadowhunter world.  Like there were the scenes in the library where stuff was just thrown at you and you clung desperatly to the edge of the cliff trying to soak it all up...  Yeah.  I think there's a prequel series right?  The Infernal Devices?  Or something or other?  So maybe that's all better explained in those books.  Either way, I just felt slightly overwhelmed and I only managed to hold onto a few tidbits of info that seemed relatively important.

Other than that teensy little problem, I loved it!  The plot twists and action at the end were INTENSE man!  Crazy.  I can't wait to read the next one!

Warning:  some spoilery quotes ahead

“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”


“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.” 


“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.” 



“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.” 


“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.” 


“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” 

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, I was just planning on reading CoLS and CoHF, but now I think I’m going to reread the whole series ... Nice quotes you chose, these are some of my favourites from the first book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the best way to enjoy a series is to read it all - first word to last word! Thanks! Cool ^.^

      Delete
  2. I like your review and love the quotes ;) You should read all the books because I just read CoHF and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely plan on it! This one was really good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...