This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, May 11, 2018

50/50 Friday (84): Series On Your TBR You'll Keep/Get Rid Of

50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @The Butterfly Reads and I and focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc).  Every week will have a new topic and several advance topics will be listed in the tab labeled 50/50 Friday!


Today's Topic: Series On Your TBR You'll Keep/Get Rid Of


For this I'm going with series' that I haven't started yet (I honestly can't stand to leave a series unfinished.  Even if it's been years since I read the first book, I need to read the second eventually).

This was so, so hard because I literally want to read ALL the books and I can't imagine taking any of them off my TBR.  However, I'm going to have to start cutting eventually (I'm over 5,000 and counting right now) so today might as well be the day.

Keep:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer #1 (trilogy)
Released: 2011

Blurb:
"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong."



Yes, I still haven't read this but I do plan to!  It's one of those iconic series that it seems like everyone has read and I'm determined to finally make time for this series!


Get Rid Of:


The Ward #1 (duology)
Released: 2013

Blurb:
"Sixteen-year-old Ren is a daredevil mobile racer who will risk everything to survive in the Ward, what remains of a water-logged Manhattan. To save her sister, who is suffering from a deadly illness thought to be caused by years of pollution, Ren accepts a secret mission from the government: to search for a freshwater source in the Ward, with the hope of it leading to a cure.

However, she never expects that her search will lead to dangerous encounters with a passionate young scientist; a web of deceit and lies; and an earth-shattering mystery that’s lurking deep beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Jordana Frankel’s ambitious debut novel and the first in a two-book series, The Ward is arresting, cinematic, and thrilling—perfect for fans of Scott Westerfeld or Ann Aguirre."


I don't know, this is just another one of those dystopias that did great five years ago but now the trend has sort of been exhausted and I need to take a break from dystopias.  They all seem to be the same after a while, even if they're not so I think I just need to get away from them for a while.  I don't even remember adding this to my TBR (sometimes I think the book monsters that live in Goodreads headquarters go around and mess with people's TBR at night or something) so I don't think it's worth keeping on.



Have you read either of these?  How do you feel about dystopias?  What series will you be keeping or getting rid of from your TBR?  Make a post and link up down below!



Next Week's Topic: Book You Can/Can't Bring Yourself to Reread

12 comments:

  1. When I read Mara Dyer a few years ago I didn’t really understand it, but I definitely want to give it a try again with a new mindset as I know a lot of people love the series! I totally get you on not even knowing why some things are on your tbr. When I scroll through I am sometimes so surprised as to why I added some things and when I did lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I want to read it! I always say I try not to get sucked into the hype but I think I definitely failed with this series. Omg right?? It's so strange! Thanks for stopping by, Emily!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of the second series. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be missing much. I only read the first book in the Mars Dyer series and I’m good. No need to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it on my TBR. I feel like it was one of those impulse additions that I just liked the idea when I added it in 2013 but if I haven't gotten to it by now and I don't remember it, I'll probably never read it. Really? You didn't like it? You're probably the first person I've come across that didn't rave about it. Thanks for stopping by, Jenny!

      Delete
  3. Behind the wave as always, I have read a few good dystopias recently, but try to avoid reading too many similar books together anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a solid idea. I let myself get swept up in the whole dystopia mania period (from like 2011-2015) and I read waaaaay too many dystopias. As a result, I can't really read them anymore because they all feel the same and I get irritated with them way too quickly. I'll be trying to apply that to other genres hopefully :) Sometimes being behind the wave is definitely a good thing. Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are keeping the Mara Dyer series! I personally loved the series from beginning to end and really hope you will, too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I not? I'm one of those people who HAS to read all the books that everyone else has read so I can find out my own opinion :) Thanks for stopping by, Marie!

      Delete
  5. I read the first Mara Dyer book but I forget the events/plot....so I found a copy at a thrift store and I am planning to read it again before continuing the series. As for dystopias, I like them, but after a while I do get sick of them and have to take a break. I'm generally like that with most genres, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that happens to me more often than I'd like to admit... I'm like that as well! I'm a notorious mood reader so I'll read nothing but fluffy contemporaries for a month before I get absolutely sick of them and move onto another genre. I seriously need more balance in my life. Thanks for stopping by, Wren!

      Delete
  6. I do like checking back on my wishlist every now and again and crossing off ones I got or don't want to read anymore. One day I will read the Dyer series too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to do it more often! My TBR is getting a little too large to handle... Haha I feel like that's the most repeated line of a perpetual reader: 'I'm sure I'll get to it sometime!' Still, it will happen! Thanks for stopping by, Olivia.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...