This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Divergent Movie Review

Original Release Date: March 21, 2014
DVD Release Date: August 5, 2014

I finally saw Divergent!!  Before I watched it, I talked to a bunch of people and read a bunch of reviews to see what complaints there were about the movie.  I have mostly the same complaints but overall, I still love the movie.  Here's a list of everything that they cut out or changed that I thought was relatively significant.  Highlight it to read it.

  • No Uriah.  I heard they are including Uriah in Insurgent though.  He does play a significant role in Divergent but I understand why they cut him out.  The movie was already pushing the limits of the number of characters and time.
  • Tris' and Four's relationship was very rushed.  It was nearly insta-love which I despise.  I think they could have done more with there relationship and still keep the time low.
  • There was no explanation of Tris' bird tattoo.  In the book, Veronica Roth explains the significance of it (one bird for each member of her family).  That didn't happen in the movie.
  • At the end Four wasn't alone in the room controlling the simulation.  In the movie, he was just sitting in a chair.  Still under a simulation but he wasn't controlling the other Dauntless.  Jeanine and her people were there which made Tris' rescue more daring.
  • Tris didn't graduate in first place.  Or at least they didn't mention it.
  • They changed the scene when Al and some other initiates try to push her over the edge of the pit.  In the book, they groped her as well as threatened her but in the movie, they just tried to push her off before Four came to the rescue.  This is where I think they could have expanded on Tris' and Four's relationship more because in the book, it's this incident that brings them closer especially when Tris tells Four that they groped her.
  • After Tris' final simulation test, she and Four don't have a discussion about it.  They don't talk about the whole Six and Four thing or Tris' fear of intimacy.  This also deepens their relationship in the book and I was disappointed that it wasn't in the movie.


Despite all that, I feel that they did a pretty good job in adapting the book to a movie.  I absolutely loved the casting choices and the scenery is exactly how I pictured it in my mind!

Have you seen Divergent?  Did you like it?

4 comments:

  1. I loved it! Probably the best book to movie adaptation ever IMO. I loved the cast too! I love Shailene and Theo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I actually watched this yesterday! :D It was wayyy better than I expected, since most adaptions don't do very well. Glad you liked!
    —C

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...