This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Review Wednesday: Pivot Point by Kasie West


Pivot Point #1

Goodreads Blurb:
"Knowing the outcome doesn't always make a choice easier... 

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through... and who she can’t live without."


Review:
This book was... good.  It does stick out in my mind although there were some things that kept it from reaching it's fullest potential.  I read this as a buddy read with one of my Goodreads friends which was actually pretty awesome because there were definitely some things that I wanted to discuss with someone else before I wrote a review!

1.  The concept.  This book centers around Addison who has this power to see the outcome of a choice before she makes it.  So when she has to make a choice, she sometimes does a search that shows her the journey both sides of the choice will take her on.  I thought it was really cool that one of the limits to her ability was that she felt like she was actually living both lives when she did a Search.  So she has all these memories that didn't happen from the other side of all of the choices but she has to keep it all straight and try not to let it impact her too much.

2.  Background and the world.  This part was just okay.  I wish the author had filled in some holes about the whole society of the Compound (where all the paranormal people live).  It was generally just a fuzzy idea in my mind and the author didn't focus on it at all.  I really like books with a full world developed around them so they feel real and this book only had half of that (the 'real world' part of it was developed nicely).

3.  The plot.  I really liked the plot although it did get pretty predictable once I got about halfway through.  However, somehow the author made it riveting to me with the strange little elements that she threw in there along with a plot twist that was really unexpected how it would pan out.  So overall, the plot was pretty nicely done.  I finished it in two days (I only restrained myself because it was a scheduled buddy read!) so it was very interesting to me.

4.  The love triangle.  Yes, there is a love triangle but it isn't really a typical love triangle because it only exists in Addison's mind.  There is a guy in each timeline and while they aren't the crux of her choice, they represent a very large part of it.  I did like the contrasting personalities of the boys and I liked how that showed how Addison was a very complex person with different facets of her personality.  I didn't really mind the love triangle in general although it didn't really endear me to the book either.

The Final Verdict:
Overall, a very nicely done book that had a wonderful idea and plot development.  However, some more world-building would have been nice on the 'paranormal' side.
4 stars


Quotes:
“My bookcase is all yours."
I walked to the door. "I've just decided that those are my favorite five words in the world.” 


“Because an illusion is an illusion. Reality always exists despite the facade.” 


“Sometimes I feel like I'm slowly floating away. I'm constantly looking for something to grab on to so I don't lose myself.” 


“Just promise me something. If this is a Search and you don't pick me, don't pick this path, for whatever reason, promise me you won't Erase me.”


“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.”


“When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel.”


“Sometimes perfection reveals the lie, ..., not the truth.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...