This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, November 28, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo - Book Pet Peeves

The rest of the posts!
Today's Topic: Book Pet Peeves - What plot lines or stereotypes make you cringe or DNF?


This is actually really hard to think of... just give me a moment...

Ah!

I hate the classic plot line that goes something like this:

Girl: "Weird things are happening in my life to me, what's going on???"
Guy: *being all mysterious* "I'm like you..."
Girl: "Wait!!" *chases after guy*
Guy: *arrogance abounds* "We are ___ (insert magical race here)"
Girl: *freaks out and screams and cries*
Guy: "You are the one we've been looking for.  You have to save our race."
Girl: "No!  I'm not ready!"
Guy: "We are forced to go on a long journey together to save the universe"
Badabing badaboom, they fall in love along the journey until one of them almost dies and the other saves them and they live happily ever after THE END.

UGHHHHHH *fists*  I can't even.  This seems like it's becoming the norm for fantasy series' and I can't stand to see my favorite genre be corrupted!

So there's that.

Secondly, a love triangle that dominates the plot.  Case and point, THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass.  It had such great potential until The Elite came along and showed the true colors of the series.  I think in The One Ms. Cass woke up and realized there was a corrupted country in the background of her love story and she had to address that from time to time as well.  There were rebels ATTACKING the palace and the thought that dominates America's mind is "Aspen or Maxon... they're both so hot!" Ugh. *facepalm*

I'm sorry, this is turning into a bit of a rant post... I should do one maybe once a year to get this all out of my system...

That's honestly all I can think of right now but there will be more once I have the presence of mind to start a list or something for my rant post.  What are your book pet peeves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...