This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Movie Review Monday: The Imitation Game


IMDB Blurb:
"During World War II, mathematician Alan Turing tries to crack the enigma code with help from fellow mathematicians."

Review (very minor spoilers)
Call me a terrible person but I actually didn't know that the Allies had cracked the Enigma code (I didn't even know it was called that) and helped to end World War II.  So in a historical regard, I can't really tell you how accurate the movie was.  On the flip side of that, I found it very helpful in understanding exactly how the war was impacted by the breaking of the enigma code.

This probably isn't a movie I'll rewatch but I did enjoy it while it lasted.  Benedict Cumberbatch did a wonderful job portraying Alan Turing and the rest of the casting was well done as well.

Hmmmm... what else?  The ending was absolutely heart-breaking.  I cried my eyes out.  It's kind of terrible of me... crying more for Alan's personal struggles than all the people who died in WWII.  But while we're on the topic, I loved how they incorporated the battle scenes into the movie!  They could have made it so disconnected (and it might have felt like it at times for them as well) but the producer people did an excellent job and making sure you never forgot what was at stake.

The Final Verdict:
I'm really glad they made a movie about this because so many people (including myself) have no idea what it was that truly won the war and the choices these men had to make.  Definitely a must watch!

P.S. Sorry this is such a short review!  Right after I watched it I was kind of speechless and that state didn't improve much since!

P.P.S. Is there a book about this?  Because I want to read it!  If you know, please tell me in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I knew about the enigma. U-571 with Matthew McConaughotty in it is about how the US stole the enigma from the Germans. But, being US-centric like I've realized I am, I just thought the US cracked the code. I knew nothing about Alan Turing. I really loved learning that part of it and learning about how they had to use statistics to not let the Germans know they had cracked the code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to watch that! Me too! I feel like a lot of people don't really know what happened and this movie will hopefully solve that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...