This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Movie Review Monday: Vampire Academy


IMDB Blurb:
"Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human-half vampire, a guardian of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discreetly within our world. Her calling is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi."


Review:
When I read this series, I really liked it although it did remind me of the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  when I heard there was a movie, I couldn't wait to see it... until I saw the DVD cover art and the movie posters.  Take a look:


After seeing how trivial they made it seem and how the DVD cover isn't at all that different then others, I grew a bit more apprehensive.  I still watched it though and I've rewatched it no less than 10 times to try and figure out my feelings and my rating.

Standing by itself and disregarding comparisons to the book, it was a decent movie.  I loved Zoey Deutch as Rose although I thought the actor who played Dimitri may have been a bit too old.  Dimitri's lines were also a bit stiffly delivered so it was kind of awkward.  I realize why they had to be a little stiff because Dimitri's (as a character) first language isn't English, it's Russian.  But they went beyond that.

I actually really liked the casting choices for Natalie, Lissa, and Mia.  Mason sort of as well.  They did look like I had pictured them and that means a lot in my book.

Moving onto the plot, there was quite a bit of streamlining going on but I actually didn't mind what they cut or changed.  They kept the major events intact.

Rose and Dimitri's relationship developed a bit differently than in the book as well.  I didn't really like the changes there because they cut out a lot of intimate moments that really help to further their relationship.

The Final Verdict:
An okay movie with pretty good casting but not so good publicity.  Rose and Dimitri's relationship as well as Dimitri's character could use some work.

2 comments:

  1. Dimitri's casting was terrible, he looked way too old which was a huge problem for me. In the book and in the movie too their age difference and teacher-student relationship is a huge deal but we still ship them because they are so right for each other. Also, in the books he doesn't look like a 35 year old man. His age was told ONCE in the whole freaking movie and I think someone who hasn't read the book could have missed it and thought he was closer to forty than to thirty. I know I'm exaggerating a bit but come one why does he have to look so old? I loved the rest of the cast, Christian was even better than I expected and Lissa and Rose had an amazing chemistry, unlike Dimitri and Rose.
    Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! The entire time I was watching the movie I was thinking 'THIS ISN'T RIGHT!' They all worked together well!
      Thanks :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...