This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Review Sunday: Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers


Goodreads Blurb:
"Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...
 "

Review:
Let me first give you this advice before we go forward.  Mortal Heart is the kind of book where you have to pay attention.  You can't skim over those political passages or war stories because they'll be important later on to understanding the complexity of the story.  I made the mistake of skimming because I got slightly bored with it.  DON'T GIVE IN!

Alright.  Leading off of that, I feel like that was this book's fatal weakness.  Everything else was awesome but when Ms. LaFever got into a political passage, I just couldn't read it.  I don't know if it was the language or what but I couldn't get into it.

I did love how all three books were sort of intertwined and we got to see each part of the story from a different perspective but you still saw the bigger picture.  I did love reading from Annith's perspective and getting to see how she felt about being the next Seer and what she found out about the convent.  There were some pretty interesting things going on there...

I really liked how Annith met that one guy (sorry, can't say his name or it'll give away a plot twist!) and they had that whole thing going on.  It let you see so much into Annith's past and what she was dealing with.  It also cemented the idea of what the people worship.

I believe this is the final book of the series and it was a nice closer.  I know the author probably had a hard time considering the series is set in history so the history just goes on and on.  It was a nice ending and tied off everything rather well.

The Final Verdict:
A nice ending to the series.  I loved getting to see everything from Annith's perspective and learning about her after seeing her in the first two books.  The plot was entirely interesting although the political passages just lost me.
4 stars


Quotes:
“If you so much as snicker, I will kill you all.” 


“I am sorry. I did not see you. Normally you are lurking in the corners or skulking in the shadows, not standing in plain sight."
"I never skulk, and lurk only sometimes.” 


“I am beginning to think that love itself is never wrong. It is what love can drive people to do that is the problem.” 


“Even if we are lost or wandering, He will find us—always, He will find us—and try to bring us home.” 


Oh no. Do not start leaking. Ismae, come over here and hug her so we can all pretend it never happened and get on with our lives.” 


“I follow you for twelves leagues, accost you in the dead of night, and you are worried about my penance?"
"You did not accost me; I LET you kiss me, make no mistake.” 


“We are all of us, gods and mortals, made up of many pieces, some of them broken, some of them scarred, but none of them the total sum of who we are.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...