This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, April 27, 2015

Review Monday: The Jewel by Amy Ewing

 
Goodreads Blurb:
"The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.
"

 
Review:
First off, yes I know it's a movie review today but I couldn't think of a movie that I really had a strong opinion about that I've seen lately and I do have a ton of books that need to be reviewed so here we are!
 
This was such an interesting book.  I've never read anything like it and I'm so interested to find out more about the world (a giant WALL keeping water out???)!  I read it in one shot and it only took me 3 hours it was so good!  I think what originally drew me to it was just the pretty cover and all the hype.  I was a bit worried that the hype wouldn't hold true for me but I'm happy to say I loved it!
 
The ending was especially good.  It was a cliffhanger yes, and one that I never saw coming, but it was also so... real as well.  You know what I mean.  Like how sometimes the author throws you a curveball and it doesn't even make sense with anything?  Well this actually made sense and it was great!
 
The world fascinated me.  The whole 'city about to be drowned by water and damned by something' certainly made an impression.  I really hope the author explains more about that or has a map or something in later (or the earlier) books!
 
As for Violet... I actually really liked her character and loved watching her trying to overcome her fears and to get out of that horrible place.  The auguries are especially interesting and I'd love to see how Violet's develop.  There must be SOMETHING bigger going on here and I can't wait to find out what it is!
 
The Final Verdict:
A very intriguing book with a new sort of world and ideals.  I really liked the main character and learning about everything in the world as well as the interactions of The Jewel!
5 stars
 
 
Quotes:
“It would be easier to forget you," he says to me, "and these past few weeks we've had together. It would be easier if I could hate you. But the sad truth is, I will more than likely love you for the rest of my life.”
 
 
“This is how The Jewel operates. Status is our sole occupation. Gossip is our currency.”
 
 
“Hope is a precious thing, isn’t it,” she says. “And yet, we don’t really appreciate it until it’s gone.”

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! I know a lot of people are rather 50/50 with it (and I totally agree with them about the romance, didn't like it) but everything else? Hell yes. I know it's not exactly an original concept or anything, but it owned it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I read a lot of reviews that were awesome and quite a few that really didn't like it. Really? Well I guess the romance does remind me of several other books. Maybe it should have been held back until the second book. I know right!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...