This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Review Wednesday: Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George


The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy #3

Goodreads Blurb:
"When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse. The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all."



Review:
This was a meh book.  You know, the one's that, while you're reading them, seem great and all but they're just another book in the series.  Except this book happens to be the last book in the series.

While I did enjoy the descriptions of the dresses and the time period (per the usual), I just found it okay.  It was a nice, fitting conclusion although it lacked a unique element.  I did enjoy the different POV from Petunia's perspective but I just didn't find her all that remarkable.  She didn't have any defining characteristics that make her stick out in my mind.

While I was reading it, it almost felt like a rehash of the first book (except in their dreams instead of reality).  The girls are in danger, they're kidnapped, people work magic, someone gets married, the end.  I am going to reread the whole series again just to see if I missed anything (I honestly can't remember what happened in the second book...).

Going back to the POV's, there were multiple POV's in this book: Petunia and Oliver.  They were nice I suppose.  It did make the story better, having the various POV's although, again, it felt like a repeat.

Last but not least, the ending.  The ending was a bit too abstract for me in this book.  I reread it three times and I still didn't get everything that was happening.  I felt like I wasn't even concerned about what happened to Petunia and Oliver, just to Rose, Galen, and a select few of the other princesses.  I just didn't get a rush from it.

The Final Verdict:
I would rate this two stars except that I did enjoy the story although many elements telling that story fell a little flat.  The repetition of the first book (in plot and in characters) was a bit too much as well as the fact that I just didn't connect with Petunia or Oliver really.
3 stars


Quotes:
“Er," Oliver said. "He talks even less than the one Lily married," the crone remarked to Walter. "Though when the mood strikes him, he asks just as many questions as Galem." "I'm sorry," Oliver said weakly. The old woman nodded. "You are forgiven," she pronounced in a queenly tones.” 


“You're very short, aren't you?" She smirked at Petunia. "And you've got a nose like a stoat," Petunia replied. "But at least I can always have my gowns altered.” 


“Jonquil went by with a full plate of food, and Petunia reached out and tried to snag a small cream puff from it. Jonquil lifted it over Petunia's head before she could, and clucked her tongue. 
"These are for Lily," she said.
"Oh really?" Petunia gave her a look.
"And possibly some are for that Analousian duke Jacques invited," Jonquil said with a sparkle in her eye. "But none are for you." Then she flipped one to Oliver. "You can have one, my lord earl," she said, and twirled away.
"These are excellent," Oliver said, eating half of it in one bite. He fed Petunia the other half so she wouldn't get cream on her knitting. Oliver was just leaning in to steal a kiss - "I hope this means you're planning on marrying her, boy," barked King Gregor.
Oliver leaped to his feet. "Sire! Yes! I mean ... I ... sire!"
"I didn't pardon you and restore your earldom so that you could loll around my gardens flirting with my daughters," King Gregor said. Then he bent down and gave Petunia a kiss on the cheek. "I like him," he whispered loudly in her ear.
"Me too," she whispered back, blushing.” 


“I want to help you," Oliver said.
"Why?" Galen looked up at him. "Because of Petunia?" Oliver was relieved that the prince didn't seem to be skeptical about his conviction. He simply looked like he wanted to know, and so did Heinrich, when Oliver dared to look at the other prince. Oliver was very aware that Heinrich had known his father. Had known him better than Oliver had, in fact. 
"Because of her," Oliver said at last. "Even though I have only met her twice, really...I just..."
"I risked my life to save Rose after only speaking with her twice," Galen said with a small smile.” 


“Sire," Oliver said as he helped Petunia to her feet, "I'd like to marry Petunia. 
"Of course you would," retorted the King Gregor. "But not right now! we just got those two taken care of." He pointed to the twins who were still trying to play Christian's odd game. "And weddings are expensive!”


“Galen!" The crown princess flung herself into her husband's arms with a glad cry. The other princesses shrieked and threw themselves at their brother-in-law only a moment later.” 


“Oliver's heart tried to pound its way out of his ribcage, but he ignored it. "I'm in love with Petunia," he announced. "And I want to help her.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...